You don’t have to be a professional interior decorator to create a fabulous dining room. Whether your taste runs contemporary to classic, here are 12 tips to make a wonderful space for dining that truly reflects your style.
1. Mix, match, and play around with different chair styles to create a truly personalized look. Unify the pieces by staining them all the same color, or re-seat and match the upholstery.
2. Use a sophisticated wall mural as a focal point and conversation piece- consider a black and white city skyline or a colorful Japanese garden. Downplay the other colors in the room by using neutrals.
3. Change the look and feel of the room with the seasons. Switch out seasonal decor and accent pieces by shopping at budget friendly stores like Home Goods, Target, or by taking advantage of clearance sales at major retailers like Macy’s.
4. Do you love drama and old fashioned charm? Then go for the bling. Nothing looks as classy as a crystal chandelier. Whether it be a thrift store find or a custom piece, crown your room with this timeless look.
5. Set the table- even when it’s not being used. This gives you the chance to display your best dishes and lovely linens and it makes the room more all the more inviting. Why keep your beautiful china locked away in a cabinet all the time?
6. Display a clear bowl of fresh fruit on the table or sideboard for a cheerful pop of color- think bright oranges in the winter, fresh yellow lemons in summer, or crisp green apples in the fall.
7. Set the room apart from the kitchen and give it a cozy feel by using pocket doors or an antique inspired folding room divider.
8. If you use lamps in your dining room, deck them out on top with decorative finials. This gives character and an exotic touch to even the humblest lamp.
9. Floating shelves to display fine China and serving trays are a space saving option for a small room or if you prefer a different look than a standard hutch.
10. Forego a traditional tablecloth and instead, let the surface of your dining room table be seen. Use a tasseled runner instead.
11. Hang luxurious window treatments high up near the ceiling and wider than the windows are to elevate your room and give the appearance of more space.
12. Change the look and feel of your room in an instant with an area rug. Consider animal prints like zebra or leopard if you love trendy, Oriental or Persian inspired if you are more traditional.
Use these tips to get you inspired. Remember that there are no hard and fast “rules” for dining room decor, so relax and have fun.
A dining room that tastefully shows off your style and personality is the best look for you, and will be perfect for everyday and all your entertaining needs as well.
Donna is a Content Creator, Marketer, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, former teacher, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.