While there is no such thing as a ‘miracle food’ there are some foods that will help you to maintain good health. There just darn good for you! Healthy eating is something you can do for yourself and your whole family. I am concerned with women’s health so I found some great healthy foods you can incorporate into your diets:
- Broccoli – For Vitamin C, fiber, beta carotene and folate. It is best eaten raw or steamed. You can toss broccoli into salads or omelets.
- Nuts and Seeds – For fiber, vitamins and minerals. You can sprinkle nuts for extra crunch and flavor into cereal, salads and yogurt.
- Soybeans and Soy Products – For B Vitamins, isoflavones and fiber. Try low-calorie soy milk in your cereal, or top your yogurt with some roasted soybeans.
- Blueberries – For Vitamins A and C, potassium, folate, fiber and antioxidants. Add fresh blueberries to your cereal and keep frozen ones on hand for smoothies, pancakes and desserts.
- Whole Grains and Whole Grain Breads and Cereals – For B Vitamins and fiber. You can add whole grains, like cooked brown rice to ground meat for extra body.
- Tomatoes – For lycopene, Vitamin C and potassium. Make fresh salsa, put them in your summer salads and puree them with other vegetables and spices for a delicious cold soup.
- Beans and Legumes – For folate and fiber. Use beans in place of meat in your favorite chili recipes. Black beans are great in your favorite brownie recipes.
- Sweet Potatoes – For Vitamins A and C, beta carotene, potassium and fiber. Try eating baked sweet potatoes without adding butter and sugar. Also making baked sweet potato fries is a healthier choice.
- Salmon, Tuna, Rainbow Trout – For Omega-3 fatty acids and unsaturated fats. At your next barbeque, throw some fish on the grill.
- Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard – for Vitamins A, C, beta carotene, calcium, folate and fiber. Fill your next lasagna with these leafy greens.
- Oranges – For Vitamin C, folate and fiber. Fresh squeezed orange juice is a great way to start the day and the next time you need to deglaze your sauté pan, try using orange juice.
You can add supplements but I truly believe if you incorporate the above foods into your diet you won’t need them.I want to add drinking water every day is also important, I know this seems obvious, but there are many people that don’t drink water at all. I also think you should have an occasional indulgence. Treat yourself to your favorite dessert occasionally. The tip is moderation, in other words portion control. You will be living a healthy lifestyle before you know it. And as an added bonus the benefit of eating the above healthy foods will be weight loss.
I hope you eat healthy, live healthy and love healthy! Enjoy Life!!!