I love butter cookies! For an irresistible flavor combination, blend lemon and lavender together in a tender butter cookie. They’re dainty enough for a tea or luncheon, yet are also satisfying as a snack or simple dessert.
Culinary lavender can be found in specialty grocery stores or online. If you have never baked with lavender before, try using two teaspoons in the cookies. If you love lavender, use three teaspoons. The lemon and vanilla balance out the flavor of the lavender well, keeping it from being overpowering.
Lemon Lavender Butter Cookies
(Makes approximately 36)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons culinary lavender
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- Juice from one large lemon (about 2 ½ tablespoons)
- Lemon zest from one large lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ t salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1/2 c finely chopped pecans (optional)
- Heat oven to 300 F.
- In a blender, combine the sugar and lavender. Process on high until very fine, shaking or stirring occasionally to make sure all sugar and lavender is ground – about 1 minute. The mixture won’t get quite as soft as powdered sugar but should be softer than superfine sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and 3/4 cup of the lavender sugar mixture until soft and creamy. Place the remaining lavender sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and salt to the butter mixture and beat well.
- Add the flour and cornstarch. Beat until combined.
- Mix in nuts, if you are using them.
- Roll into small balls, using approximately 1 level tablespoon of dough for each cookie.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the bottoms are just starting to get lightly golden.
- Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack and let the cookies cool for 4-5 minutes. Roll the warm cookies in the remaining lavender sugar mixture and set them on a rack. The sugar mixture will soak in a little and be sticky, so let them dry for 10-15 minutes and roll them again. Once they are cooled, you can also put the sugar into a paper bag and shake the cookies to coat them evenly.
- Store in an airtight container.
These scrumptious Lemon Lavender Butter Cookies would be perfect for a book club meeting or a baby shower, too. Or tea time with your daughter. One thing is for sure, you will want to keep your cookie jar stocked with these scrumptious little cookies!
If you love lemon-infused desserts, try this Lemon Raspberry Parfait.