We all, at some point, struggle with it, and we all hate it! Some of us struggle with it our whole lives, while others only have it due to chemically over-processed hair. I have a few tips and tricks to make frizzy hair more manageable.
First off, you get what you pay for. Don’t waste your money on cheap no-name brands of products that claim to get rid of frizz.
You will spend more money trying these random products than just breaking down and buying the good stuff. Salon brands will be your best bet! I also have a few home remedies to try.
If you were born with frizzy hair, all these suggestions would help you. If your hair is frizzy due to damage, you need to repair your hair with keratin protein.
Frizzy Hair Remedies
Salon Products for Frizzy Hair
The Moroccan Oil line is by far the best line I have found for dry, frizzy hair. They have an amazing shampoo and conditioner, two deep penetrating hair masks, the famous Moroccan Oil and Moroccan Oil Light (for blondes), hydrating styling cream, curling cream, shine spray, and hairspray.
I recommend using shampoo and conditioner every time you wash your hair. Only use the intense hydrating mask once a week, and for really damaged hair, use the restorative mask once every 1-2 weeks for frizzy hair.
Follow up with the Moroccan Oil while it is wet, and apply a little bit more if necessary when dry. You can add the styling cream or curling cream depending on how you like your hair styled.
Shine spray and hairspray is optional. The most important products in this line are shampoo, conditioners, and oil.
Oils are much better for your hair than serums. Oils are natural and go into your hair cuticle to repair. Serums coat your hair, leaving a film that builds up on your hair.
Another product line I like is Onesta. It is an all-natural hair care line. The best products they have for frizzy hair are shampoos, conditioners, styling creams, and oil. As an added bonus, all their products smell amazing!
For a more ‘permanent’ fix, try a keratin smoothing treatment like the Brazilian Blowout. This treatment is pricey but well worth it!
It removes ALL frizz! Even those unruly baby hairs and fly-aways! It lasts 4 months, and the only in-between maintenance is the Brazilian Blowout shampoo, conditioner, and styling products. Not only does it tame frizz, but your hair also dries faster, smoother, shinier, straighter, and softer!
Home Remedies to Get Frizz Out of Hair
It may sound funny, but mayo works wonders on frizzy hair! Add a bit of avocado and vanilla extract and apply liberally onto your hair. Let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse with cool water to seal your cuticle. You can do this treatment up to once a week.
Another remedy is olive oil. Work the oil into your frizzy hair and wrap it up in a hand towel or plastic cap. Turn your blow dryer on low speed/medium heat and keep the heat on your head.
Leave the oil on for 20-45 minutes. Make sure it stays warm to penetrate your cuticle. As with the mayo remedy, rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle.
Tips and Tricks
- When blow-drying your hair, keep the nozzle pointed down and the hair on your brush tight. If the nozzle is blowing against your hair, it causes breakage and increases frizz. Keeping your brush tight pulls those frizzies to stay down.
- Be nice to your hair. Don’t rip through your hair with your brush, and gently comb out tangles.
- Keep your blow dryer on medium heat. There is never a need for it to be set on the high setting. That high of heat makes frizzies stick out.
- Use products on wet and dry hair. Even if you like a natural feel to your hair, you can still use good products.
- All the products I mentioned above will weigh your hair down or cause a product feel. You NEED products to protect your hair and to tame unruly frizzy hair.
- If you love your heat tools, make sure you are using a good flat iron or curling iron. Choose a flat iron with ceramic plates. Don’t go cheap either, like I said earlier, you get what you pay for. The best flat irons also have a heat dial. I recommend CHI or Babyliss tools.
I hope these frizzy hair remedies help you tame the frizz out of your hair.