With summer around the corner, there is no better way to relax and have fun than with good friends, good conversations and good drinks. With summer comes the best season to enjoy fruity and flavorful cocktails. Some have garnishes, some have a lot of ice, and some simply have a fun name.
The following are just a few of the best summer cocktails—and recipes too.
1. Strawberry Lemon Mojitos
Mojitos have always been a summer staple, but you can leave the lime at home, as this summer take on a classic favorite has everything you need to unwind and quench your thirst. The use of strawberries add a fruity twist.
• 2 oz. rum
• 1 oz. lemon juice
• .5 oz sugar
• 1 strawberry
• 6 mint leaves
• 2 lemon wedges
1. Muddle the lemon wedges with the strawberry and mint leaves in a cocktail shaker.
2. Add in ice, lemon juice, rum and sugar and shake well.
3. Strain into a highball glass with ice.
4. Garnish with strawberry and mint leaves.
2. Watermelon Margaritas
Nothing says summer like a nice cold margarita. Rather than indulge on the classic lime or strawberry margarita, why not indulge on a watermelon margarita instead? Combine this easy to make concoction with chips and salsa, and you’ll easily transform your backyard into a Mexican getaway.
• 1.5 oz. tequila
• .5 oz. lime juice
• .25 oz. agave syrup
• 1 slice of watermelon
1. Muddle the watermelon and agave syrup in a cocktail strainer.
2. Add the lime juice and tequila, and shake well.
3. Double strain into a frozen margarita glass.
4. Garnish with watermelon.
3. Mint Julep
You don’t have to be at the Kentucky Derby to enjoy one of these tasty cocktails, but they do have a hefty preparation time, so make sure to get a batch made before the party starts.
• 1/4 c. water
• 1/4 c. white sugar
• 1/2 c. bourbon
• 1 tbsp. chopped mint leaves
1. Place water, chopped mint leaves and sugar into a saucepan. Bring to a boil until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Allow mixture to cool for at least 1 hour.
3. When cooled, pour mixture through a strainer to remove mint leaves.
4. Pour bourbon and mixture into an ice-filled glass.
5. Garnish with a mint leaf.
4. Frozen Peach Daiquiri
Frozen drinks are the best ways to cool off on a hot summer day. Frozen peach daiquiris are both tasty and thirst quenching, making them a summertime staple.
• 1.5 oz. light rum
• .75 oz. orange liqueur
• .75 oz. lime juice
• 1/2 tsp. sugar
• .5 oz. frozen peaches
1. Place all ingredients into a blender.
2. Blend until desired texture.
3. Pour into martini glass.
If you are a wine lover, sangria is a must-have during the summer months. The combination of tasty wine with fresh fruit can easily create some summertime fun.
• 1 bottle red wine
• 1 lemon, cut into wedges
• 1 lime, cut into wedges
• 1 orange, cut into wedges
• 2 tbsp. sugar
• splash of orange juice, lemonade or limeade
• 1 cup strawberries
• 1 10 oz. can of diced pineapples, with juice
• 4 cups ginger ale (optional)
1. Pour wine into a large pitcher.
2. Squeeze the juice from the lemon, lime and orange, and then toss in the wedges (without the seeds).
3. Add in the pineapple, orange juice/limeade/lemonade, and sugar, and chill overnight.
4. Add strawberries, ginger ale and ice before serving.
Carrie Johnson lives in Dallas and works for a travel agency. She enjoys writing about traveling, summer styles, and recipes. Carrie recently wrote about her stay at a bahamas beach resort.
Donna is a Content Creator, Marketer, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, former teacher, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.