Last night the 10 American Idol contestants performed. I am going to say once again… the 2009 American Idol will be Adam Lambert. Now with that out of the way…
This week was Motown week, with Smokey Robinson coaching the contestants. I love Smokey Robinson and his songs are classics, yet still sound fresh today… which says a lot for Robinson as a songwriter and singer.
Here is my list from best to worst last night,
- Adam Lambert – sang a Smokey Robinson song, Tracts Of My Tears. I know you’re surprised I thought Adam was best. Seriously, Lambert did a beautiful job. He was so tender and vulnerable. He has such a talent! I could listen to him all day. Smokey even said "I’ve never heard it done like that" and Simon said it was "the best performance of the night". In fact, Barry Gordy (who was also in the audience) and Robinson, himself, gave Adam a standing ovation.
- Allison Iraheta – sang Papa Was A Rolling Stone by the Temptations. What a soulful voice from this sixteen year old. She redeemed herself with the judges who thought she rocked. For some reason during Allison’s performance, Simon used what appeared to be a marker, to make moustache on Paula Abdul’s upper lip. Very juvenile… to say the least.
- Anoop Desai – performed Ooh Baby Baby by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. I was equally impressed with Anoop this week as I was last week. He really has been stepping it up. He has a tender and beautiful voice that lends itself well for ballads. He pleased the judges once again, as well.
- Danny Gokey – sang Get Ready by the Temptations. Okay, I will repeat myself, I love Danny! He is a great singer with an adorable personality. However, he just wasn’t up to par last night. He was a bit boring to me. The judges all agreed with me. 🙂
- Matt Giraud – sang Marvin Gaye’s Let’s Get It On. Which is one of my all time favorite songs . It is a sensual song and Matt, while no Marvin Gaye, did a good job. He started out at the piano and then stood up to finish the song. Simon even told him "you are one of the front runners."
- Kris Allen – performed How Sweet It Is originally by Marvin Gaye and later by James Taylor. Kris did a decent job. The judges told him he need to loosen up and have more confidence. I agree. I think Kris has that "it" factor for the young girl viewers.
- Lil Rounds – sang Heatwave by Martha and the Vandellas. I was a bit disappointed in Lil this week because I thought she would excel in this genre. While listening to her I told my hubby that she sounded like she was doing more screaming than singing. Then the judges said the same thing. I think she’ll get to stick around for another chance… or I sure hope so.
- Scott MacIntyre – sang You Can’t Hurry Love by Diana Ross. I think Scott seems like a really nice person. But as much as I try – he bores me to tears. He isn’t a bad singer… but far from a great one. My biggest problem is he seems so flat. The judges were not impressed this week either.
- Michael Sarver – sang Ain’t Too Proud To Beg by the Temptations. I put Michael in ninth place but have to admit, I hope he is the one to go tonight. He also bores me and last night I felt like he screamed out the lyrics as well.
- Megan Joy – performed For Once In My Life by Stevie Wonder. It seriously pains me to place her in last place. I like Megan a lot. She is a truly beautiful girl and has a very unique and rare sound to her voice. But last night… oh my goodness. When Randy said "it sounded like a train wreck", he was right. It was a horrible song choice. Although I know she was the worst singer last night – I do hope that she gets a chance to come back next week to redeem herself.
Do you agree with me? Who do you think was the best and worst last night? Leave a comment and let us know. Tune in tonight at 9:00 PM EST on Fox and see who is the next contestant to go.