A cliché (from French, pronounced [klɪ’ʃe]) or cliche is a phrase, expression, or idea that has been overused to the point of losing its intended force or novelty, especially when at some time it was considered distinctively forceful or novel. The term is most likely to be used in a negative context. It is frequently used in modern culture to reference an action or idea that is expected or predictable based on a prior event.
We use or hear clichés all the time. I think probably one of the most used cliches I hear is "when pigs fly"; what about you? Take this cliche quiz and see if you know the origins of some of the most popular cliches. By the way, I got them all correct.
Since today is Cliche Day I thought I would share with you my 10 favorite (and the ones I’m guilty of using) cliches:
- Growing like a weed – usually used when referring something in the early stages of development, like a child or a company, this phrase means growing or developing rapidly. I use this cliche in referring to my son often.
- Rubs me the wrong way – irritates or makes angry; or gives the feeling of distrust.
- Give it a rest – stop trying to convince someone of something.
- A piece of cake – very easy; not difficult. I say this a lot to my son.
- God willing (and the creek don’t rise) – everything that can be done is being done and what’s left is hope; or hoping that something does or doesn’t happen. I’m certain that this one is a Southern saying.
- What goes around comes around – you got what you deserved; justice was served.
- Keeping up with the Joneses – trying to live like you have more than you really have; living like you think your neighbors live.
- Your room looks like a pig stye – used to describe a dirty/mess room. I use this cliche more than all others in describing my son’s bedroom.
- Better late than never – it’s better to conclude something late than to never conclude it.
- When it rains, it pours – everything happens at once.
Check out ClicheSite.com for a large list of cliches. I would love to know what cliche you use the most. So leave a comment and share it with us. And be sure to use a cliche or two today in celebration of Cliche Day!
Donna is a Content Creator, Marketer, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, former teacher, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.