It’s finally fall here in East Tennessee. Yes, it was officially fall a couple of weeks ago, but until this week, we’ve had summer temps. This week, however, the weather is more fall like. Which means it’s a perfect time for some root vegetable soup.
I hate these drastic changes in temperature. It’s like… it’s spring! NOPE, just teasing, it’s winter. Then, just kidding, it’s spring again.
Mother Natures best April Fools prank for sure.
But at least it gives me an excuse to make some homemade root vegetable soup today. I love root vegetable soup because it’s such a hearty soup.
Root vegetable soup gets its name from just what it sounds like… root vegetables. And root vegetables are vegetables that grow underground or in the earth, like potatoes, rutabagas, and carrots.
Root Vegetable Soup
- 2 quarts of water
- 8 tps Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base (or 8 cups of vegetable or chicken broth)
- 3 cups rutabaga, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces yellow cipollini onions (or any tiny, yellow onion)
- 12 small carrots with greens still attached.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Add Better Than Bouillon and whisk until dissolved.
- Lower heat, add rutabaga and potatoes, cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until rutabaga is soft.
- Mash roughly with a potato masher half of the potatoes and rutabaga, leaving larger pieces.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Halve onions, thinly slice white section of leek, and peel carrots leaving some greens attached (about an inch).
- Place on a baking sheet, coat with olive oil.
- Roast for 15 minutes, remove leeks, add them to soup, and continue roasting onions and carrots for 20 additional minutes.
- Add cream and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until combined.
- Remove from heat and add the carrots and onions.
If you’re like me, you’ll eat soup any time of the year, but when the temperature drops below 50, it is officially soup weather for me.
I think you’ll enjoy this easy, delicious root vegetable soup recipe. It’s creamy, rich, and hits the spot on a cool day, no matter what time of the year.
Donna is a Content Creator, Marketer, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, former teacher, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.