Did you know that the second week of November is Pursuit of Happiness week? This year that’s November 8 – 14, 2008. I like the idea of Pursuit of Happiness week and hope I strive for happiness every week. Shouldn’t we all be in the pursuit of happiness, everyday?
Sometimes we get caught up in all the mundane day to day tasks and responsibilities that we may forget to pursue happiness. So for this week make a conscious effort to pursue your happiness… and remind others to do the same.
A few tips on how to find happiness:
- Figure out what is important to you right now - Is it time with family or a better position at work? Or more "me" time or better health? The possibilities are endless… just write down the first things that pop in your head.
- Make happiness a priority in you life - Think about the times in your life when you were truly happy. Remember the feeling and actively strive to attain it now.
- Take baby steps - Start with little things each day that make you feel good. Do something that relaxes you and makes you feel good; like taking 15 minutes to read, take a bath, meditate, call a friend, take a walk, just to name a few. Just take the time and do it.
- Train yourself to be an optimist - Think of the bright side and let go of negative thoughts. Every time you start to think a negative thought – stop! Replace it with a positive thought. It may seem difficult (and yes, at times it is), but if you practice thinking positively, you will be surprised at just how easy it starts to become.
If you really want to be happy – you will be. And pay it forward… do something that will make someone else happy, without expecting anything in return.
Here are some free e-cards you can send to family and friends for Pursuit of Happiness week. This week would also be a good time to watch Pursuit of Happyness, starring Will Smith. If you haven’t seen it yet… I highly recommend it! If you have seen it already… watch it again.
Here are two web sites that are perfect for Pursuit of Happiness week… and everyday:
- eHappyLife – I discovered this site recently and must tell you it is one of the best places to help you find your happiness. On Sundays you can read their Life’s Lessons. I’m still reading them and hope to get caught up with them all soon. Excellent reads and excellent motivators.
- The Quote Garden – a collection of inspirational quotations to inspire happiness.
One last and very important thing… be thankful. Be thankful for what you do have and where you are at this time of your life. Everyone can find something, regardless how small, that they can be thankful for.
My wish for you is that you will find happiness in the smallest of things; and before you know it, you’ll receive happiness in the biggest of things. Happy Pursuit of Happiness week!