I've recently talked about my fears of identity theft. It's one of the most frightening things financially that can happen to a person, in my opinion. Talk about a headache. The time and frustration to clear your name (a crime can be committed while impersonating you), not to mention how disastrous it can be to you economically. In today's economy, identity theft is the last thing any one wants to go through.
Last week I read from a fellow blogger that her husband had been a victim. Scary. All it takes is one shady employee at, say, your doctor's office, dentist, school, accountant, or numerous other places that have access to all your private information, to steal your identity.
The first thing you can do is check the health of your identity through IdentityHawk. IdentityHawk's identity theft protection service is the most advanced software available today to track and
prevent identity theft.
Here are a some other things you can do to protect yourself:
- Use a shredder for all your papers, before throwing them in the trash
- Don't put checks in the mail from your home mailbox
- Have your checks delivered to your bank, and not your home address
- Memorize your social security number and passwords
- Don't carry your social security card with you. Also don't carry credit cards unless absolutely necessary.
- Keep a close watch on your bank statements for anything suspicious
If identity theft protection is important to you, be proactive and take the steps to protect yourself, and your family, now. Just be cautious and remember knowledge is power. Stay safe my friends!
I was compensated for this post. The views expressed are 100% my own. Please read my Disclosure Policy.
Donna is a Professional Blogger, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, Freelancer, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.