Did you know that April is oral cancer awareness month?
Oral Cancer Awareness Month
But I am glad to learn there is a month devoted to bringing awareness to oral cancer. I know cancer isn’t something most people want to talk about, it’s scary I know but is so important to be aware of the signs and symptoms. It’s also better to be armed with facts and know everything you can regarding cancer.
I was shocked to hear that in 2018, that more than 51,000 people will contract oral cancer and it is estimated that more than 10,000 will die as a result, according to the American Cancer Society.
In celebration of Oral Cancer Awareness Month (April), Great Expressions Dental Centers is speaking out against oral cancer. I was asked if I would help speak out against oral cancer by sharing these facts with you…
Oral Cancer Fast Facts:
- Oral cancer comprises 85 percent of all head and neck cancers
- At least 75 percent of those diagnosed with oral cancer have been tobacco users
- Any sore in your mouth not healed within 14 days, should be looked at by a professional as it could be oral cancer
- Close to 50,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral cancer this year
- Oral cancer will cause nearly 10,000 deaths this year
- Oral cancer kills roughly one person per hour, 24 hours a day
- Examine your mouth monthly for sores and symptoms
- Mouth cancer is twice as common in men than women
- Drinking alcohol to excess is linked to a third of all oral cancer cases
- The human papillomavirus is a leading cause of oral cancer
- There are more deaths from oral cancer than there are from road traffic accidents
- The five-year survival rate of oral cancer is 50 percent
- There is no way to prevent oral cancer, but you can take measures to lower your risk
GEDC will be giving all patients in April complimentary oral ID screenings, a two-minute exam that aids in catching oral cancer at early stages. You may want to check with your dentist and see if they are offering a free screening… it doesn’t hurt to ask.
I hope you will take the time this month to celebrate Oral Cancer Awareness month and speak out against oral cancer!
Donna is a Content Creator, Marketer, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, former teacher, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.