I participated in this program on behalf of Champions for Kids and The Motherhood. All opinions regarding how you can help kids in your own communities are 100% my own and may differ from yours.
How You Can Help Kids In Your Own Communities
I recently became aware of a wonderful program that helps feed breakfast to kids in my community who might not have breakfast otherwise. And there’s a good chance this program is in your community, too. If you ever went to school without breakfast or know of kids that do, you know how important this program is for kids.
When I was doing my student teaching there was a little boy who was always getting to school at the last minute or oftentimes even late. It was easy to see he came from a troubled life. Trust me, as a teacher, you know.
Getting to school late meant he couldn’t eat breakfast and as I soon discovered, he never ate breakfast at home, either.
This little boy broke my heart.
He had so much potential. I could see it. And for whatever reason, he took to me. As I was drawn to him… I wanted so much to see him excel.
But it is hard to do when you’re hungry. Our brains need fuel in the mornings to be able to function at its best. Especially when you 7-years-old.
I started bringing him breakfast, usually in the form of a cereal bar, each school day. I got rather creative in letting him eat without the other kids knowing. I also would put a few extra things in his backpack on Fridays.
That was quite a few years ago and I’ve moved away since, but I often wonder how that little boy turned out.
This is why I love The Champions for Kids program. They understand the need for kids to get a healthy breakfast to have a good start each day, so kids can be the best they can be.
What is Champions for Kids
- Champions for Kids makes it simple to give children in local communities the resources they need to thrive.
- Helping others does not have to come in large doses. Champions for Kids seeks to ignite generational change by fostering a ‘habit of giving’ among youth and parents in America.
- I was shocked to learn that 9.8 million kids (more than ever before) get free or reduced-price school breakfast on an average day, but 10.6 million eligible kids go without? Hunger has a huge effect on how a child performs at school. In fact, 9 out of 10 teachers say having a healthy breakfast is a key to academic achievement. And from my personal experience, I can attest to this.
- SIMPLE Giving is a Champions for Kids program that makes it “simple” for you to help kids in your community. To ensure children can eat breakfast and stay focused in school, Champions for Kids is teaming up with Kellogg Company and Diamond Foods for a SIMPLE Giving program.
- You can participate by simply purchasing and donating breakfast food items at your local participating Walmart from April 21 through May 5. If your Walmart store is participating, simply purchase breakfast foods and place them in the purple donation bins at the front of the store after checkout. To see a list of participating stores, click here.
- All of the donations go to children in the school district where the Walmart store is located!
Why Is It Important?
The first meal is the most important one of the day; however, 10% of U.S. kids in food-insecure homes aren’t guaranteed a breakfast! Breakfast is vital to a student’s academic success. In fact, 9 out of 10 teachers agree that breakfast plays a key role in students’ educations.
But even while 9.8 million kids – more than ever before – get free or reduced price school breakfast on average each day, 10.6 million eligible kids go without!
The Motherhood is joining Champions for Kids along with Kellogg Company and Diamond Foods for this Twitter party to spread the word about a simple way we can help ensure that kids in our communities enjoy a nutritious breakfast that will help them stay focused in school!
Anyone can participate in the SIMPLE Giving campaign by purchasing and donating breakfast food items at local, participating Walmart stores April 21 through May 5. All donations will go to children in schools near each participating Walmart store.
The school district that collects the most donated items from a single Walmart store in its division will also receive $10,000 from Champions for Kids. And the school district that collects the most donations from a Walmart store in its region will receive $1,000 from Champions for Kids. For a full list of participating stores, school districts, Walmart Divisions/Regions and official rules click here.
As you can see, it is so easy to give. And I know for a fact… it will do YOUR heart good.