I have a confession to make… I primarily only watch football when it’s a Super Bowl game. Yep, once a year I watch football. I do catch bits and pieces of an occasional UT Vols game, but to really watch a game, it is the super bowl. We make an event of it. Even a friendly wager is made between me and my husband.
If you know me (and/or my hubby), you know I’m competitive. So we have to make a bet on who will win. All’s fair in love and… bets.
To be completely honest I think the real reason, besides the Superbowl commercials, we like the Super Bowl is for the food. We like making a big deal out of the food and snacks for the big game. I’ve decided to make chicken enchiladas this year. And as usual I did a trial run, yesterday…
|Southwestern Chicken Enchiladas||
- 8 soft flour tortillas
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 springs fresh oregano
- 1 small onion quartered
- 3 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid
- salt (to taste)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup Del Monte diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your heat threshold)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 1/2 cups Mexican cheese (or monterey cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Wrap corn tortillas in foil and warm in the oven.
- Bring broth to boil in pot.
- Set chicken into broth with bay leaf, oregano, and onion. Return to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Poach chicken in broth 10-15 minutes. Remove chicken breasts to a bowl and shred with 2 forks.
- Add 1/2 cup of cooking liquid, tomato paste, spices, and salt. Work through the chicken using the forks.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in saucepan and heat through, keeping warm until needed.
- Remove tortillas from the oven and switch broiler on high.
- Pile chicken mixture into warm tortilla and roll.
- Line casserole or baking dish with enchiladas, seam side down.
- Pour hot tomato sauce over the chicken enchiladas and top with cheese.
- Place enchiladas in hot oven and broil 5 minutes to melt cheese and set enchiladas.
If you love Mexican dishes, this is a perfect game day recipe!
This time of year (we have an ice storm here, today) I love being able to grab a can of Del Monte Tomato products or fruit for my family to eat… it’s the closest thing to fresh fruits and veggies I’m going to get. Besides canned fruits and veggies are healthy, too!
Check out the other great products from Del Monte.
One lucky person has a chance of winning the new Del Monte Southwestern-Style Petite Cut® Diced Tomato varieties and the Pinterest Sweepstakes. I’m entering! You can to… here’s how:
- Follow the Del Monte Brand on Pinterest
- Create a Pinterest board named “Del Monte Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off”
- Pin at least two (2) Del Monte Tomato Recipes from the “Del Monte Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off” Pinterest board and at least two (2) football entertaining ideas
- Register your Pinterest board to the Del Monte page from January 21st through February 15th to be entered into the Del Monte® Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off Sweepstakes program
- Get ready for a chance to win one of the many prizes available, including an ultimate entertainment package with a Sony® 55” LED TV, Bose® home theater system and Sony® Blu-ray player (ARV $4,779.00 USD).
Official Sweepstakes Rules – http://bit.ly/11bK144
I’m thrilled to tell you that, thanks to Del Monte, I have a Del Monte prize pack to give to one of my Blog by Donna readers!
The winner will get (1) can of Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, (1) can of Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Chipolte Chilies, and a $25 Visa gift card.
This giveaway is open to US residents 18+. Ends 2/17/13 at 11:59 pm EST. Enter on the Rafflecopter form below. Good luck!
You can follow and like Del Monte at:
Disclosure: Del Monte has sponsored this giveaway and provided me with the same prize pack for posting. As always, all opinions are 100% my own and may differ from yours.
Donna is a Professional Blogger, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, Freelancer, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.