The press conference is on WBIR, NBC affiliate, right now. So we are finally hearing information about Jim Adkisson, the shooter. They found a 4 page letter in his home expressing his intentions of going to the church to shoot and kill many with plans of being shot by police himself. He felt frustration from not being able to get a job (his age) and the liberal movement to blame for not being able to find employment.
On Sunday, July 27, 2008, Jim Adkisson, entered the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church carrying a 12-gauge shotgun inside a guitar case. He killed two people, Greg McKendry and Linda Kraeger, injured five more, with four of those still in critical condition.
He reportedly hated the liberal movement and his frustration of not being able to find a job was behind his planning (for at least a week) of the church shooting. He expected to shoot until officers arrived and they shot and killed him (Adkisson).
Main points from the press conference:
- The FBI is investigating it as a hate crime.
- Shooter targeted Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church due to "recent publicity" the church had received regarding its "liberal stance" on things.
- The actions of the church members who tackled the shooter likely saved many lives, as it appears the shooter intended to try to kill as many people as possible, and did not expect to leave the church alive.
- The shotgun was purchased about one month ago.
- The shooter is a veteran of the 101st Airborne, and had an associates degree in something related to mechanical engineering.
I live in Knoxville, so this hits close to home. I will update with any new information as I learn about it. You can also keep up-to-date at WBIR.com.
Donna is a Content Creator, Marketer, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, former teacher, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.