One of my biggest problems with my weight over the last 5 years has been that I ate whatever, whenever and however much I wanted. I didn’t practice “moderation”. In fact, the word just wasn’t part of my vocabulary… less thinking. Part of this “non-thinking” had to do with the fact that when I was younger I could eat whatever, whenever, and however much I wanted.
Now, that’s not the case. Age, hormones, and a metabolism that has slowed (if not stopped) down, I can’t maintain that lifestyle and keep my girlish figure. Okay, I’ll probably never have that girlish figure again, but I can maintain a healthy weight. And the key is moderation.
Between your busy schedule and responsibilities with work, friends and family – it may be challenging to maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle, especially while on the go. However, what if you had easy-to-follow advice and resources right at your finger tips?
With Moderation Nation, a new national program created by the Hershey Center for Health & Nutrition, (HCHN) in collaboration with the American Dietetic Association, you can now have access to a variety of tools that will help you achieve moderation – and you don’t even need to give up your favorite foods!
For on-the-go needs, the new Moderation Nation iPhone app, free and available on iTunes or via www.themoderationnation.com, will reward you for the activity you´re already doing, while encouraging you to do even more in a way that suits your busy lifestyle. With an easy-to-read tracker and a comprehensive list of activities to choose from, you can earn badges for your progress and go from a Starting Gun to a Healthy Hero!
I just downloaded the iPhone app and will let you know more about it, the more I use it.
The Moderation Nation Web site (www.themoderationnation.com) provides a host of new tools for you and your readers, including:
- Recipes and Expert Tips. Here you´ll find advice from Cheryl Forberg, registered dietitian (RD) for NBC’s The Biggest Loser, award-winning chef and New York Times best-selling cookbook author
- Additional recipes and tips from Regina Ragone, Food Director at Family Circle magazine; Keri Glassman, author of the O2 diet; and Liz Ward, author of Expect the Best Pregnancy.
- Moderation Menus. Seven-day meal plans – with snack ideas – that will help you plan out your week. Each menu is based on an individual lifestyle, such as Single, Adults with Kids and Adults with No Kids.
- Balance the Meal. This cool balancer tool allows you to input your main dish and its preparation method; in return, you´ll receive ideas for complementary side dishes that round out the meal smartly.
Useful Facts. Here you´ll find everything from a "portion distortion" guide – providing cues on what actual portion sizes should look like – to a grocery shopping fact sheet – to a guide on how to start and maintain a food journal.
- Moderation Nation T-Shirt (I love my tee)
- Hershey’s chocolate
- Nutrition journal
If you would like to win this prize pack, just follow the rules below.
Mandatory Entry: checkout the Moderation Nation Website and leaving a comment telling me what you feel you would most benefit from on the website – Mandatory!
Optional entries: Leave an additional comment for each entry. For example, if you subscribe to BlogbyDonna, leave 2 separate comments saying you subscribed.
- Follow my blog on FB (widget on the right sidebar) and leave 2 comments saying so, for 2 extra entries.
- Subscribe to my blog via email for 2 extra entries
- Grab my button and post a link to your blog for 3 extra entries.
- Blog about this contest (with a link to my blog) and post a link to your blog for 3 entries.
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet about this contest (can be done daily for an extra entry each day). Just copy & paste and tweet this – Enter to win Hershey’s Moderation Nation Giveaway at BlogbyDonna – http://bit.ly/annwW5 (via @BeShirtHappy) #myblogspark
The winner will be selected on 10/08/10 at 5:00 pm EST via random.org and will be notified via email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond.
Just so you know: I was provided with the Moderation Nation prize pack (T-Shirt, Hershey’s York Peppermint Patties and a nutrition journal)for the purpose of facilitating this post. No other compensation was received and the views expressed here are my own.