Cake mix muffins are one of my favorite ways to make muffins. Since I usually have cake mix in my pantry, it’s just more convenient.
Cakes are higher in sugar and liquids and lower in fat so cake mix muffins will have a much lighter, fluffier texture than the traditional muffin batter. Muffins are denser than a cupcake.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a qualifying purchase, I may earn a commission. Thank you!
If you’ve never tried muffins using cake mix before these Cherry Almond Chocolate Muffins are worth the try…
CHERRY ALMOND CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX MUFFINS
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ½ C milk
- ⅓ C canola oil
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¼ C chopped almonds
- 2 C. fresh cherries
- Preheat oven to 350
- Pit, destem and chop cherries (using a cherry pitter makes this easier).
- Using a KitchenAid mixer or electric hand mixer, combine the first 3 ingredients.
- Add the next 4 ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in the last 2 ingredients.
- Scoop into muffin tins lined with paper cupcake liners, filling about ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Optional: Top with chocolate glaze, a ½ cherry and chopped almonds.
Note: Bake the muffins at the same temperature called for in the cake recipe, but reduce the baking time by one-third to one-half.
- ½ C Powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ – 1 tsp milk
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Slowly drizzle in milk, ¼ tsp at a time, stirring constantly until it becomes liquidy but not too thin.
- Dip cooled muffins into the glaze.
Makes about 18 muffins.
I’m a huge fan of cherries, whether just eating them fresh or using them in recipes. Some of my favorite cherry recipes are these Cherry Bomb Chocolate Covered Cherries and these Proscuitto Cherry Bites.
These cake mix muffins are great for breakfast, brunch, or as a snack. And they will satisfy chocolate lovers, too. In fact, you can omit the cherries and substitute another fruit of your choice or leave the cherries out altogether and make just chocolate muffins.
Pin for later…
Donna is a Content Creator, Marketer, Brand Ambassador, Social Media Consultant, former teacher, wife, and proud mom. Blog by Donna encompasses all that… she writes about family life and being a woman while weaving in articles about the brands and products she and her family love.
Thank you, Lily! They are sooooo good! 🙂
Comments are closed.