Today’s topic in the “30 Things I Want My Son To Know About Me” is, “List 10 Things You Would Tell Your 16 year-old self, if you could”.
I originally thought this would be an easy topic to write about, but dang if it wasn’t tough. I thought I’d be able to come up with more than ten things, yet as I sit here looking at my screen, I’m coming up blank. Not my screen, but my brain.
This topic has me reflecting. Really taking a good look into my past and my present.
Here’s what I finally came up with and in no particular order.
Dear 16-year-old Me,
1. Take chances. Please, please, please take chances. Don’t let fear of the unknown hold you back.
2. In a couple of years you will be influenced by a few girls/women into smoking. Do. NOT. Do. It.
3. It’s okay if you wear pants. You are one of God’s children and He loves you. You will not go to Hell just for wearing pants.
4. Convince Mom to let you go to Haiti. I think it would be a life-changing experience.
5. Stop worrying about being too skinny. I promise you there will be a day you’ll wish your were small again.
6. You will have several jobs after high school, do not take the job at Williamson Daily News. It will not be worth it… in more ways than one.
7. Don’t perm your hair. Just don’t do it. You may think you hate straight hair, but trust me the perms just damage your hair and you will use a straightener one day. Besides, you can always use hot curlers to get curls. Same with coloring your hair. It will be more than a decade later, but find some other way to make a change in your life and leave your hair alone.
8. Don’t worry so much about what other people think about you. I know at 16 you want everyone to like you and you want to fit in… be happy in your uniqueness. You have and will make wonderful friendships with people who love you for YOU. All the others… don’t matter.
9. I’m so proud of you! You are a kind young lady with a gentle heart. You’re smart with a hunger to learn all you can, and you’re funnier than you realize.
10. Explore your writing even more… I promise you it will pay off. 🙂